Loading...

I dintorni

Industria, Roman city

At Monteu da Po you can visit the archaeological site of Industria, a Roman city built in a strategic position on the right bank of the Po river, almost at the confluence with the Dora Baltea. The origins of this settlement dates back to the 1st century B.C. when the Roman colonisation of the surrounding area favored development and trade along the river and the processing of bronze, iron and copper extracted in the Aosta Valley.
Within the urban precinct the remains of a temple dedicated to the oriental gods Isis and Serapis are still visible; the temple was very active from the Augustan age to the fourth century A.C.
The subsequent and gradual spread of Christianity made pagan worship decay and loose importance, while urban development and housing still important in medieval times transformed the area into a burial area. The last traces before the definitive abandonment of Industria date back to the 7TH century A.C.
Visiting the ruins of the Roman city, while revealing a cross-section of local history and territory, may eventually result in enriching individual memory. Admission free. Visits by appointment, calling 339 31 05 197

Santa Fede Abbey

Not far from Cavagnolo center raises the "Santa Fede" Abbey, built from benedectin monks in the 12th century. Here was still existing a sanctuary dedicated to the Saint "Fede", a young girl tortured dead during Diocleziano domination in France.
During the medieval age the abbey borders were extending long over the Alps, but in 1584, the monks leaved the sanctuary, and it was abandoned.
Later on the sanctuary was passed from one diocese to another, and then it was sold, sconsecrated and used as a stable for animals.
In 1895 the building was bought by the Padri Maristi congregation, who kept it until recent times.
The structure has 3 naves with a semicircular apse; the fa├žade is ornated by semicolumns with small hanging arches under the pitches of the roof. The beautiful door was realized by artisans and local masters.
The abbey is located in Santa Fede street and it is open in day time, all the year.

Verrua Castle

As a fortress , since 999 the Verrua castle has been suffering sieges and destructions for several centuries. The fortress was disputed beetwen noble families of the area for long period of time: it belonged alternatively to one to another adversary, until 1559, when it was finally acquired by the Savoia family even if in very bad conditions, with a big part of the walls destroyed. It was then divided in "castrum" (the fortress located in higher position), "castrum planum" (the settlement inhabited but still fortified) and "village" surrounded by walls and circular towers.
But the fortress is mainly linked to Spanish succession war, went on with long battles and about thousand dead people from 1704 until 1706; then the victory against the French allowed the Savoia to establish their Kingdom. In the middle of 1900 the fortress was sold to a company extracting cement, but the escavations done by explosives caused a heavy landslide which damaged the building. Visitors can see anytime the outside of the fortress. For information about inside visits please contact the town hall of Verrua Savoia, tel 0161-849144.